With You Every Step of The Way
When you’re facing a cancer diagnosis, you want an experienced oncology team with a proven track record.
What is oncology?
Oncology is the area of medicine specializing in researching, identifying, and treating cancer. An oncologist works to diagnose your cancer by performing a variety of tests. Oncology is also closely associated with hematology, the area of medicine focused on treating blood and blood-related disorders.
Examples of Tests We Run
- Lab tests: looking for signs of cancer in blood and urine
- Biopsy: taking a tissue sample for testing
- Endoscopy: introducing a camera into the body to look for irregularities
- Ultrasounds, CT, MRI, or PET scans: imaging diagnostics that look for signs of disease
What can I expect during my first oncology appointment?
Facing a cancer diagnosis can be overwhelming, but the experienced providers at Coastal Cancer Center have provided consistent and compassionate cancer care for over 36 years. Throughout your treatment process, they work closely with you to discuss your specific condition and outline the next steps for diagnosing and coordinating your care.
What Your Appointment May Include
- A comprehensive physical exam
- Additional testing to help develop an effective treatment plan
- Conversations with specialists, like surgeons or radiation oncologists
- Meetings with a financial counselor to discuss insurance coverage and costs associated with your treatment
- Introductions to support the service providers, like pharmacists or patient navigators
What kind of treatment do oncologists offer?
After diagnosing your cancer, your oncology team evaluates the stage, or extent, of your condition. Based on this additional information, your oncologist might recommend a variety of treatments to treat or manage your illness.
Cancer Treatment Specializations
- Hormone therapy
- Monoclonal antibody treatments
Your oncologist also specializes in palliative care therapies to help manage symptoms and pain associated with your cancer.
Can I bring a support person?
Myrtle Beach Center
8121 Rourk Street, Myrtle Beach, SC 29572
817 Farrar Drive, Conway, SC 29526
3008 Bayboro Street, Loris, SC 29569
Murrells Inlet Center
4620 Highway 17 South, Murrells Inlet, SC 29576
Our hematology providers are leaders in blood diseases and cancer services in the Grand Strand area.